My grandpa on my dad's side was an interesting character. He was a full time farmer and a full time school teacher at the same time and a part time welder on the side among other things. He had a farm hand named Sprewell (I don't know about the spelling but that's what it sounded like) that lived in an old house on his farm.
One time my grandpa needed to move some hay and he wanted to get it moved soon so he needed another hand to help. He packed up Sprewell and my dad in the old farm truck and headed over to where the local day laborers hung out to wait for a job for the day. My dad said he was about 7 or 8 so that would have put this some time during World War II. At any rate Grandpa ended up hiring a black man to help load this hay on the truck and then unload it at their destination.
Being the boss my grandpa brought water can. At the first break my grandpa took out the only cup and filled it with water and offered it to the black guy first. After he had his drink my grandpa offered it to Sprewell.
Sprewell said "I'm not drinking after that n*****" and refused to take a drink.
My Grandpa said "That's fine with me" and he drank then gave the cup to my dad. My dad said he thought "If my dad is going to drink after him then it must be ok" so he drank.
This happened during the summer and it was hot loading that hay. The second break was a repeat of the first break and Sprewell still didn't get a drink.
I don't know what goes through the mind of someone like that. Even if he drank first on this break and the black man had to drink second then on the next break he'd still be drinking after the black man.
At any rate Sprewell finally got thirsty enough to drink after the black man. Sprewell was probably surprised that it didn't kill him.
Apparently my grandpa was satisfied with the work the new guy did because he hired the same man to help move some more hay the next day.
Sprewell brought his own water can and cup so he didn't have to drink after anyone.
Actions speak louder than words and my grandpa put his ideas into action that day. My dad said he always paid a fair wage for a fair days work regardless of who it was working. My dad told me that story many years ago and it has always stuck with me for some reason.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- Lockerbie bomber released as part of oil deal
- Quote of the Day ****Now with Pics****
- Pic of the Day
- What qualifies as a "cybersecurity emergency"?
- Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - ...
- 1000 banks to fail in the next two years - finally...
- Home of the Firehat
- The Average I.Q. in the senate is up today
- New Law in TX - What is going on!?
- Ban All Pseudoephedrine NOW!! It's for, uh, I hav...
- Dems plan pro-socialized medicine rallies
- Yes We Can Increase the Debt Even More
- A great ad in the paper
- Save Glenn Beck
- Great Video
- A little fun at the range
- Want to help someone find housing?
- Mexico decriminalizes small amounts of cocain, her...
- Socialized medicine again
- Oh please!! Another "right-wing conspiracy"!!
- I'm listening to a guy try to find out about the r...
- Quote of the Day
- Is this payback for opposing "The Chosen One"?
- Firms with ties to the President profit from push ...
- Socialized Medicine Quote of the Day
- Rule of Government
- The Next Big Bailout: Social Security?
- So auto dealers are having trouble getting their m...
- Consumer Confidence Falls "unexpectedly" in August...
- Getting ready for hunting season
- I need some extra wide mud boots
- I heard on the radio that the stock market will pr...
- Dropping "Public Option"
- Durban upset that he won't be able to tell his con...
- A useful item to have: cable ties
- Finished the first rabbit hutch
- Dallas Independent School District wants to rename...
- Holy Foreclosures!!!
- I'm feeling so good about the economy this morning...
- Flu hasn't been in the news here so much lately
- Foreclosures Rise
- Predicting the stock market to go back down
- Biometric Authentication for anyone seeking employ...
- I had to post this
- A "Chief Diversity Officer"!!!?? What is that?
- A lefty at work
- Soaring deficits defy forcasts? Are you kidding?
- A rise in militia groups?
- Congressman Scott's Sign
- Story about my dad's dad
- Socialized Medicine, Logan's Run, and Cutting Cost...
- Pat Buchanan Column Worth Reading
- My Little Girl's Nails
- Defensive Shotgun
- Easy Fill Chicken Waterer
- Sotomayor confirmed
- #2 Son's Birthday Cake
- Fried baby egg and cheese bagel
- Union goons to counter town hall protesters
- Walter E. Williams on socialism
- Sotomayor and "voting on ideology rather than qual...
- Good and Politically Incorrect article
- Solution to Congress
- Russian Nuclear Subs off East Coast
- Not posting much lately
- Socialized Medicine Not So Great for Cancer
- Sunday update
- Geithner says they're going to raise taxes on the ...
- One of our Rhode Island Reds laid her first egg to...
- Alabama County Prepares for the Government to Shut...
- ▼ August (71)