I haven't had the kids out target shooting in a while. It's been hot and we've all had a lot of things to do. I've got to get them out and in the groove so to speak. Some .22 LRs to start with so I don't break the bank, then check zero on the big guns.
This was the oldest practicing last year. You can just see the target below the cloud of dust from the impact. That is 100 yards.
That will do.
I asked the two oldest boys if they were going hunting this year and both said "I don't know" which usually means yes at the last minute.
#3 boy may get to go for the first time this year. He recently turned 6 and I think he needs the opportunity to get his hands dirty. Due to the way the birthdays fall the oldest took his first deer about a week before he turned 7 and #2 took his first a few months after he turned 7.
Anyone who can consistently hit a 6" circle at 50 yards and sit still and quiet in a blind in freezing weather for 3+ hours is mature enough to go hunting.
When the oldest was 8 I dropped him off at a blind at O'dark-thirty in the morning, parked the truck 1/2 mile away and walked back. I was probably gone 30 minutes and he thought it was fine. I did the same thing with #2 when he was 7. My kids are not the kind to freak out at the sound of a coyote or the sight of a snake. Last year #2 sat out with me in 14F weather for 3 hours without complaining. There are lots of "grownups" that couldn't or wouldn't do that.
I've got to get to the farm with my dad soon and cut limbs to open up some more shooting lanes, clean up or rebuild blinds as needed and check for sign. It's supposed to cool off out there in the next week or two so I'll see what happens.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Founding Member of The Party of NO
This Blog is a Cybersecurity Emergency
- ► 2010 (204)
- Lockerbie bomber released as part of oil deal
- Quote of the Day ****Now with Pics****
- Pic of the Day
- What qualifies as a "cybersecurity emergency"?
- Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - ...
- 1000 banks to fail in the next two years - finally...
- Home of the Firehat
- The Average I.Q. in the senate is up today
- New Law in TX - What is going on!?
- Ban All Pseudoephedrine NOW!! It's for, uh, I hav...
- Dems plan pro-socialized medicine rallies
- Yes We Can Increase the Debt Even More
- A great ad in the paper
- Save Glenn Beck
- Great Video
- A little fun at the range
- Want to help someone find housing?
- Mexico decriminalizes small amounts of cocain, her...
- Socialized medicine again
- Oh please!! Another "right-wing conspiracy"!!
- I'm listening to a guy try to find out about the r...
- Quote of the Day
- Is this payback for opposing "The Chosen One"?
- Firms with ties to the President profit from push ...
- Socialized Medicine Quote of the Day
- Rule of Government
- The Next Big Bailout: Social Security?
- So auto dealers are having trouble getting their m...
- Consumer Confidence Falls "unexpectedly" in August...
- Getting ready for hunting season
- I need some extra wide mud boots
- I heard on the radio that the stock market will pr...
- Dropping "Public Option"
- Durban upset that he won't be able to tell his con...
- A useful item to have: cable ties
- Finished the first rabbit hutch
- Dallas Independent School District wants to rename...
- Holy Foreclosures!!!
- I'm feeling so good about the economy this morning...
- Flu hasn't been in the news here so much lately
- Foreclosures Rise
- Predicting the stock market to go back down
- Biometric Authentication for anyone seeking employ...
- I had to post this
- A "Chief Diversity Officer"!!!?? What is that?
- A lefty at work
- Soaring deficits defy forcasts? Are you kidding?
- A rise in militia groups?
- Congressman Scott's Sign
- Story about my dad's dad
- Socialized Medicine, Logan's Run, and Cutting Cost...
- Pat Buchanan Column Worth Reading
- My Little Girl's Nails
- Defensive Shotgun
- Easy Fill Chicken Waterer
- Sotomayor confirmed
- #2 Son's Birthday Cake
- Fried baby egg and cheese bagel
- Union goons to counter town hall protesters
- Walter E. Williams on socialism
- Sotomayor and "voting on ideology rather than qual...
- Good and Politically Incorrect article
- Solution to Congress
- Russian Nuclear Subs off East Coast
- Not posting much lately
- Socialized Medicine Not So Great for Cancer
- Sunday update
- Geithner says they're going to raise taxes on the ...
- One of our Rhode Island Reds laid her first egg to...
- Alabama County Prepares for the Government to Shut...
- ▼ August (71)