We broke out the BB guns and went hunting for grasshoppers and other big bugs to feed the to the chickens. It might not sound like much excitement for an 8yo and 9yo that have deer heads on the wall and turkey feathers in their caps, but they enjoyed it a lot. It was also good training for muzzle control without being too risky.
I remember as a kid I would go out in my grandparents garden, or down the lane, or almost anywhere at the other grandparent's farm and hunt grasshoppers for hours. I would load the 700 shot magazine to the top and then carry several of the little cardboard tubes of BBs in my pockets so I wouldn't have to go back to the house so often.
I still have my old Red Ryder. It has a metal lever and trigger unlike the plastic parts on todays models. It also didn't have the silly crossbolt safety that the new ones do. It loaded under the muzzle instead of on the side like they do now. The new location of the loading port makes it easier to keep your hands out from in front of the muzzle but the new loading doors are easier to accidently brush open causing you to spill your ammo.
If the boys prove themselves to be safe enough to go on their own I might start providing the ammo and let them help feed the chickens full time when the weather is warm.
A blog about living, hunting, and whatever else I want.
Just Another Right Wing Extremist
Founding Member of The Party of NO
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(472)
-
▼
September
(25)
- Ergo Rail - You need it and it's easy to install
- No STD's listed in the Electronic Health Record
- Main production hens molting at our place
- Let's just spend our way out of an economic crisis.
- London Fashion: What is wrong with these people!?
- So the President is "suntanned"
- "Idiot of the Day" Awards
- Have you ever driven a diesel locamotive?
- I've been away for a week . . .
- The kind of 9/11 memorial we need
- Camped out with the kids last weekend
- Pics of the Hi-Cap Chicken Feeder
- Hi-cap Chicken Feeder
- Easy Fill Chicken Waterer Update and Improvement
- One Racist Out - The Rest of the Administration to Go
- Teen unemployement over 25% - highest on record
- You think our President's wife is a wacko?
- Now it's Maine's Turn
- America
- No Death Panels in socialist countries, huh?
- My New Shirt
- UN seed vault
- Someone in MA is afraid of the swine flu . . .
- Helping my grandpa keep bugs out of his garden
- I took the two oldest boys out for a grasshopper s...
-
▼
September
(25)
About Me
My Blog List
-
-
-
Fuck the European Union7 years ago
-
-
-
Be Advised7 years ago
-
-
Grateful That It Wasn't Worse8 years ago
-
-
6 Prepper Tips to Start Now9 years ago
-
-
-
Last Call!11 years ago
-
Portugal Vacation Spots11 years ago
-
Merry Christmas to Everyone11 years ago
-
Get Home Bag12 years ago
-
And just like that.....12 years ago
-
They Don't Belong13 years ago
-
-
Website update and more13 years ago
-
-
Bibi Heils Hitler ...14 years ago
-
Short Hairstyles 1814 years ago
-
Live and Learn15 years ago
-
Open Thread15 years ago
-
This Blog Has Moved!15 years ago
-
Bright Lining Panfish on Ice15 years ago
-
The Christmas Season15 years ago
-
DID IT MY WAY has passed on 7-29-201016 years ago
-
-
I moved!16 years ago
-
-
Going Dark16 years ago
-
Are We Really Smarter?17 years ago
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4 comments:
Sounds like a great outing. I recall shooting a BB gun as a young boy. Before that I had a slingshot---many birds bit the dust in those days--always birds my grandfather didn't favor such as jaybirds and blackbirds which were bad on the crops. Grasshoppers and lizzards were often targets of choice too.
I prefer they don't shoot spiders or lizards because those little predators also take out grasshoppers.
Grackles and similar pests are open season.
Sounds like a LOT of fun, to me. Good technique and safety training for the kids - and at least BBs aren't as expensive and rare as "real" ammunition can be here recently.
Brings back fond memories. Thanks for the post.
See Ya
Post a Comment